The Normans

During the Norman period Chippenham, which had been Crown property, was split into the manors of Cheldon, Rowden and Lowden and was acquired by the Barons and religious houses.

There are further references to the church in 1042 and in the Domesday survey of 1086 a population of about 300 people lived around the market place. The town may also have had an undocumented Motte and Bailey Castle to the rear of the Museum & Heritage Centre and library.

The urban centre expanded in 1245 along Lang Street (which may be the Causeway) and further expansion is recorded in 1406 along Le Newstret (which is possibly New Road).