Parliamentary Borough

As a Parliamentary borough Chippenham was represented in 1295 and from 1320 under King Edward II who granted four fairs and two markets to the Lord of the Manor Edmund Gaselyn.

The Yelde Hall was constructed after 1458 in the middle of the market plain. In 1554 Queen Mary granted a Charter of Incorporation to the growing prosperous market town. After 1570 the Shambles was erected in the centre of the market plain backing onto the Yelde Hall.